Healthier Ingredient Options
Eating healthy does not mean throwing out your favourite recipes just because they contain cream as one of the ingredients. You can try replacing the following high fat ingredients with lower fat options.
|Standard Option||Healthier Option|
|Full cream milk||Reduced fat/non fat milk|
|Full cream evaporated milk||Low fat/light evaporated milk|
|Yoghurt||Low fat/diet yoghurt|
|Cream||Low fat/light evaporated milk
Low fat unsweetened yoghurt
|Tasty cheese||Edam cheese|
Low fat cottage cheese
|Streaky bacon||Middle eye rasher|
|Luncheon meat||97% fat free/light ham, turkey, chicken|
|Tuna/salmon in oil or brine||Tuna/salmon in spring water|
|Puff or regular pastry||Filo pastry|
You can also:
- Add a side salad with foods like pies, pizza and lasagne.
- Grate vegetables (like carrots) into mince dishes.
- Add cauliflower or broccoli to pasta bakes and dishes.
- Use leftover vegetables in soups or omelettes.
- Add a can of beans or lentils to mince dishes.