The 70-30 Rule
If you’re serious about losing those unwanted kilos, then you need to follow the ’70-30 Rule’, which basically means that 70% of your effort should be spent on nutrition and 30% on exercise. And for most people it’s the 70% that’s the hardest.
Eating not only involves what you eat, but also how much you eat and your emotions play a big part as well. Here are five nutritional tips to help you achieve the 70%:
- Try drinking a large glass of water 10 to 15 minutes before a meal. The water will partially fill your stomach and may reduce your hunger levels.
- If you find yourself eating chocolate or lollies in between meals, try eating a handful of unsalted nuts instead. While some nuts are relatively high in fat, the fat they contain is the ‘good’ fat that our body needs to stay healthy.
- If you are a weekend food binger, plan your meals and snacks ahead so you have plenty of healthier snacking options in the house.
- Use smaller plates to control the portion sizes as most of us will eat everything on our plates. If you are still hungry, wait 20 minutes before going for seconds.
- When eating out, always choose the smallest portion size available and fill up with a side salad (preferably one without the creamy dressing).